Sunday, March 29, 2015

Quiet Time

Crafting can be so therapeutic. 

You likely know that I get easily overwhelmed by crowds, and I always need some "me" time after a large event. This morning I went to this awesome craft show/flea market that featured really eccentric artists. It was fun, but at times the crowd was so thick we couldn't move at all. Throw in the fact that some people came in costume, and you wind up with me wedged between some very tall, face-painted folks, grateful for the warmth provided by body heat but needing them all to back off!

I walked in the door about 3 hours ago, and since then have been crafting in silence. There is something so calming to me about focusing on a creative project. I sat and cut out pieces for a few more sample Jammie Bears for about an hour and a half. The only sounds in the room were my scissors cutting through the fabric, the heater warming me up, and the occasional attention-demanding meow. 

This is one of the things I love about living alone. That I can sit quietly for three hours doing my own thing, despite needing to do laundry, clean the kitchen, and generally tidy up. Because if I don't get to those things, who cares? As long as Lily's litter box is clean and she is fed on time, she couldn't care less about the rest of the place. 

In a couple weeks I'm doing two craft shows with my mom. Our table theme is Babies. Using yarn from my stash and that people have me, I've been churning out little crocheted baby outfits and accessories. I've also been trying my hand at sewing more, and I'm getting more confident with it. I'm hoping the Jammie Bears will take off. I love repurposing things, and I think the sentimental value is really strong. 

I think I'm going to try to sneak in a basket of cat toys on the baby table as well! I still have a bunch of catnip socks to sell, and I've started creating a new toy - a crocheted rattling egg. So far it's been tested by two felines and they approve. 

Mom asked me to come up with a way to display the little baby accessories we are making at the show. I've decided to repurpose a framed cork board into a pretty, fabric covered board, and then somehow attach clothes pins that can be used to hang booties and bibs and hats. This project got underway a little while ago and the paint is probably dry by now, so off I go...

Let's hope for a good week. Someday I will be able to quit my job and craft full time for money!

No comments:

Post a Comment